The Nature of a Servant?


Phil 2:1 – 11 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.


Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus, Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. NIV

Recently, I was reviewing reports on the internet of healing ministries that I trust and respect. As always, I was encouraged, excited and in absolute awe of the way God is using His people to bring healing, miracles and signs and wonders to the nations. However, a few clicks away and I found myself on the site of healing evangelist that I had met several years ago. I was shocked and deeply grieved to see the direction this man’s ‘ministry’ had taken. Once a humble man with a powerful healing gift, he was now the proud owner of two private jets, and the leader of a growing association of apostles. And, for those who become ‘apostles' under his organization, the gift of a diamond ring and Rolex watch! 

On so many levels, I just don’t get it. And I wonder – where does the money come from to support such extravagance? And would that money be better invested in helping those whose lives have been devastated by disaster or by providing food, water and an education for those who have none, or otherwise caring for the widows and orphans?

What has happened to considering others better than ourselves? Or doing nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit? Or caring for the least of these? May God help us all to examine our hearts and our wallets in these matters.

Matt 25:34-40 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' NIV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Turning 65!

God is on the Move in Ghana!

Celebrating Easter Sunday in Grand Forks - The Journey to Healing